Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Braxton Hicks

What is that you ask? They are sporadic uterine contractions...a womens bodys way of prepping for labor. They can start as early as 6 weeks in and can even be seen on ultrasound but most women don't 'feel' them till later in pregnancy. I in fact was having them during my 22 week ultrasound but had no idea. The tech had me get up and get a drink of water, walk for a minute before she could continue with the exam...

So, when do you feel them? Around 3rd tri-mester (week 28 or so)they start becoming more noticable. They are normal and good for the body to go through but can become quite painful. Dehydration, or over-exertion can make it worse. It feels like your torso is getting tight, especially around where the baby is, and can cause some back aches.

Well, 2 nights ago at the grocery I felt what I thought was the babe rolling around in my belly (not much of a kicker, just turns over a lot) and was like huh, this is actually hurting a bit. By the 3rd roll in 10 minutes I had D feel....he felt my belly, and then moved his hand around on it, then looked me in the eye and said "Hun, you're having contractions". What! Sure enough, I put my hand on my belly and I was tight everywhere....a contraction.

Oie, I had about one every few minutes for 20 minutes or so but they weren't awful, just uncomfortable. I wanted to get done the shopping trip and get home...it had been a long day. Once I got in the car and had some water I began to feel better and the tightness feeling occured less and less until I finally got into bed after a tall glass of ice cold water. *sigh

I've been reading up on them today and turns out more then 4 Braxton Hicks in an hour is cause to call the doctor...oh well. I'm see-ing them today and I've felt the babe moving around enough since then I wasn't worried. It was actually nice prep for labor and brought back memories of James' birth.

Having the oppurtunity to practice breathing and relaxing myself...good stuff.

5 comments:

Lady A said...

hmm, is that the tight kinda "ouchy" feeling I get when I'm doing too much?? Maybe I am a normal prego afterall

Katie said...

Oh, I just hope you realize the real contractions when they happen! ;) I've heard those weird stories where the woman doesn't realize she's in labor, and next thing you know, there's a baby popping out. How you could not know you're in labor is beyond me...

Kat said...

Oh Em, if only there was a normal preggo... but yes, I believe you are :)

There is a very different feel to real contractions Katie and I think I remember the difference. They progressively get harder and closer together...but, yes, it can be difficult to tell the difference.

Lady A said...

labor denial.... it could happen to you.... trust me ;) And, every labor is different......

Kat said...

Oh so true. I am hopeful this time will be similar to last...but who knows?