Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The father of my child...the other half of my soul

D and I met just over 2 years ago on April 7th. We had dialogue over the Internet through a site called HappyMarriage.com which unfortunately is no longer around, but it brought us together. We were led through questions and very specific chats before we were even allowed to e-mail eachother. It was a site based on chemistry and seriousness. So, we got through all that in like a day and half and just felt this connection. We decided to meet.

It was friday afternoon, I was driving from the West side of DC to meet up at Arundel Mills with D. I was over an hour late. Called his cellphone (thank goodness I had it) and said can you still meet? I'm sitting in traffic, don't know how long...he said no problem. To give him a call as I got closer to the Mall and he would meet me there. He still ended up beating me there. I walk into the mall, stressed beyond belief, starved cause I had been on the road for almost 2.5 hours trying to meet his guy....and guess what? He was standing, cool and calm with a pink bunny in his hand for me. I walked right up to him, hugged him and was speechless....the rest of the night went great! We decided to meet again :)

Less then a month or so in I remember D asking me "How soon is too soon to ask you to marry me?" I was not blown away because I had kinda been thinking the same thing...we did not become engaged until my birthday in August but even that was kind of rushed with the whole pregnancy thing. Yes, we went out of order but I wouldn't change it for the world.

Next step, getting married. So many people told us to go for the Court Wedding and then have a ceremony after the babe was born. I was tempted at times...but stuck with my gut. I wanted a church wedding, sacrament and all and there was a process. So...January 27th it became. less then 6 months to plan a wedding while pregnant. Wow, there were some crazy days but well worth it. All along D was my rock, patient and just there, holding me up. We grew together a lot during that time, turning to one another with problems and coming to the realization that it was our lives and we would make our own choices.

2 months of somewhat blissful marriage and along came James. D told me early on that all he ever wanted was to have a family to love and support. There is a video of him from when he was 8...maybe 9 years old, sitting next to his grandfather and talking to the video camera about great grandfather...in other words, talking to his future children. Sweet huh.

So, we had a family and it has been quite a time getting into rhythms and then knocked back out of them. For financial reasons I went back to work when James was 9 months but we had a strong bond formed so I was not concerned and we have been fine. James loves his time with family and I needed my time from him so it worked out. D was right, I am not a stay at home type of woman. I need to feel needed in the world beyond my family so I can better appreciate my family and they can in turn appreciate me. My job isn't precisly my ideal one but it suits for now....





Dan has just been a pillar of support and I love him more then I can put into words.




I didn't jump right on the bandwagon of having children but those 9 months gave me the time I need to change and get ready for it. Besides, there really is no way to know what to expect. Every day is a blessing and everyday we learn not to take things for granted. Everyday we say "I love you", give a gentle squeeze of the hand, hug, smile at eachother and at our amazing son, don't go to bed angry, talk anything and everything out. I am truly blest.

No comments: