Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Weaning

I absolutely love to breastfeeding my child and it has been an amazing experience but I wonder how much longer it will last? If you had asked me a month ago I would of said till he was 2, at least! But I find as the days go by and my child is able to self soothe that I don't miss the nursing neccesarily. We still cuddle and he does still nurse, just less and less (and can I tell you what throws my body is in due to the hormones from these changes! Only downside.)

He's been getting squirmier and squirmier so when he does try to nurse more often then not he ends up wriggling around, out of my lap, butt up in the air.....He doesn't want to sit still. He's taken to wanting a bottle of warm whole milk so he can walk around and still be able to drink. This could be part of the reason he doesn't sit still for nursing, yes I realize that, but I don't mind.

Last night he fell asleep on my belly...no nursing, no bottle, no nothing. Just closed his eyes and fell asleep. I'll take more of that please :)

1 comment:

Lady A said...

well- it's what they say - a partnership. I think the same sometimes when I realize Luke hasn't nursed or maybe I need it more than him.... I mean he still wants/needs it and is starting to lift my shirt, but I think, how much longer, it's been a year. Or what if he's done because it's summer and he is just going to be running around.... will I miss it? I mean after he was born I just knew I WAS MEANT TO BREASTFEED, it's what I wanted since I was a child.... and I've enjoyed it.... but I do know it won't last forever.

Since my body is back in "order" I'm not really pressured to stop since I'm past being engorged and all flubby. I am not all touched out.... from feedings.... I enjoy the nice break it gives us during the day.

But, falling asleep on your chest is just as priceless!