I have heard good and bad through the years about these Doctors and have avoided them to some degree. Like so many things having your back worked on is a continual process and can take a long time...if it doesn't become addictive first and then you have a whole 'nother set of problems. I knew a girl right after college (on the Rugby team I played for) who would visit a Chiro once a week because of her back. She would swear by it...and she was only 24!
So, let me give a little back story as to why I finally succumbed.
It started in high school working at the local Baskin Robbins. May have started sooner but my first real memory of my back just aching was while working there. I was one of the cake decorators, had been for just over a year. It was halloween...I remember drawing on a full sheet cake (bakers full mind you, very big) a spiders web and spiders and such. It was an order. The shop was slow so I had the cake out on one of the main counters so I could keep an eye on my crew that night (Jesse and Eric). Well...all the sudden I got this searing pain in my back, while bending over, that went down my right leg and caused such pain I wasn't able to stand up. I did not shout out but whimpered and said "guys...". I remember Jesse coming over and helping me to stand up-right but my back was just in spasms. I ended up sitting down and Jesse finished the cake for me. I couldn't believe the pain...
Since then I have not been kind to my back. Heavy bags lugged around city streets miles on end; rugby and other various sports through the years; AND 7 + years in food service/retail that required long hours on my feet...
I would have episodes through the years where I would be in such excrutiating pain I didn't know what to do. I had co-workers who worked wonders with their hands (keep it clean) and muscles. There was a guy at Veteran's Stadium who would have me stand facing him and he would literally work his fists up my spine cracking things along the way...aaahhhh. That used to feel so good...I think he thought of me as a daughter and was always so kind.
I had a buddy at Penne who gave the most marveous back rubs. I would actually be able to sleep those nights. Otherwise hot showers, baths or even walking around would usually cure it in a day or two. I actually found that going for runs when I wasn't to in too much pain would help.
I've always known I need to lose my apple belly weight, way before becoming pregnant, I've just never been able to do it. Rugby workouts, ROTC, Taboe 3 times a week...all things I've done for months at a time that had no effect on my weight. Sad really. Before I met my husband I had not gained, nor lost a pound in over 10 years. I was a very steady 185. Then we started dating and then I got pregnant and then , well....I got bigger.
I was just starting to work on myself again when I got pregnant again. Sigh. I remember having very bad backaches with James but a hot shower or a real good massage from my hubby usually took care of it...
which brings me to Wednesday of this week. I don't know what brought on this episode but I was in such pain I was in tears and couldn't do anything for me son! I think it finally hit home I needed to do more then just wish the pain gone. I had told Dr.s about it before to no avail, I'd even gone in for a consult at a Physical Therapist but my case wasnt bad enough.
So yesterday, I called a Chiropractor and with the first try found one who was not only familiar with my re-occuring pain but also had experience with pregnant women. Her table, so to speak, would lower to accomodate bigger bellies...very kool. So I went in not knowing what to expect. She asked a lot of questions, got some history (most of the above), and then set about checking things. Legs, arms, strength...then she got to my back/hip area....OW! She affirmed my feelings that yes, there is an issue here and yes she can help. FINALLY!!!!
So she set about rubbing, pushing, popping my entire spine and some of my right leg. My spine has been intermittenly twisting trying to support me and my belly and in the process has been pinching nerves, specifically my Sciatic which causes the shooting pain down my right leg so she said. Oie.
I felt better for about an hour and then I was just sore.....so sore. sigh. I hope this gets better sooner then later! I hear that you can get pretty sore but my poor hubby and son have been so worried, and so kind too. Poor guys.
2 comments:
I'm glad that semed to help you yesterday. .... sounds like it won't be an easy fix, but just listen to your body and what your limits are!!!!! That's what I had to do a couple years ago when I had an old rotator cuff injury and had to commit to getting it better. :) I know you can do it
I hope you start to gain some benefits from it. I have never visited a chiropractor, but it seems like a really good plan! Good healing energy, your way. xo
Post a Comment