Monday, February 25, 2008

Eating out

I love to eat out! I love the choices and the flavors and the scenery (usually). I guess it might be because I was in the restaurant biz for a few years of my life so I have a different perspective. It's a life I look back on fondly as a learning experience. When you are scheduled to close Friday and Saturday night (meaning you might be home by 2am...maybe) then scheduld to open sunday morning (ie, be in by 9) you learn to love coffee and the business cause if you don't then you are in the wrong field, ya know?

It was not all bad mind you. The chefs I worked with were amazing and creative. There were times we got to sample some amazing food (sadly I was still vegetarian for part of this time so I missed out on some of the meats) but the chefs took care of this little veggie. I remember tasting Hearts of Palm (literally the heart of a palm tree, considered a delicacy and very expensive). It was truly yummy and melted in my mouth....and i got to taste it for free :)

I enjoy going out with my hubby and son knowing we can all find something to appease our palettes and not need to find a middle ground to make us all happy. James for instances discovered he likes corndogs on saturday due to a trip to Chilis' in search of cheese fries (which we didn't get ironically). While James munched on that, I had a salad and D had a sandwich. Granted, these were all things we could have made at home but imagine our tiny kitchen after making all these things and cost of supplies not to mention the space (have I mentioned we have a very tiny kitchen?)....so, when you weigh costs and such sometimes it is really much easier to get food out.

Or at least, I like to think so. We are trying to get better about eating healthy and cooking fresh at home...trying very hard in fact :) but sometimes it is just simpler to find food out. I did come across this article today and I have to admit it's nice to find articles' such as the following to prove that you can find nutritious meals...even eating out:

http://realage.typepad.com/food_bites/2007/07/best-and-worst-.html

No comments: