Well, let's pick back up with Sunday afternoon. We made it to my parents house and I was having contraction after contraction....still irregular but getting stronger. 3 min, 5 min, 8 min, then 3 mins again. I have all the times written down somewhere...though I must admit I was thankful when I didn't have to watch the clock anymore.
While at my parents my sisters cat decided to take up residence...on my belly. I didn't know this then, figured the cat could tell labor was coming, but I was actually starting to get a fever. She was just trying to comfort me, meanwhile I'm taking each contraction as it came trying to decide the meaning behind, was it low? did it spread? was that one hard? should I call David?....finally around 2'ish I did call David, I say finally but it had only been about 1/2 since we arrived at my parents house. I had just gulped down a turkey sandwich and was like, I want to get to the Birth Center. So I called and David said to meet him there about 2:45.
Got to the center about 2:50, just D and I. We left James with Grams and Gramps and godmommy K and instructions to call if they hadn't heard from us within 2 hours....
So, I walk in with Dan making jokes and chatting with David. Didn't feel like labor yet but I just knew I wanted to be there. I got settled on the bed, after pee-ing, and got my dose of anti-biotics. While sitting there with an IV in my arm contractions suddenly started coming one on top of the other. No lie...about 30 seconds apart but all I knew was they were suddenly faster and getting harder faster.
Then I got the chills...bad
Blankets weren't helping, IV was done pumping, I asked to get into the tub. It was close to 4 at this point, only been there an hour. Meanwhile we had started calling in the troops. Called J and J first since they were birth assistants/James watchers, then called my parents, then called D's family. This was around 3:20 or so. J and J made it to the center well before 4...I don't want to know how fast they drove.. everyone else would be on the way soon. No one expected a fast labor...not even David.
Oh. did I mention there was no nurse when we first arrived? Just David. It was when I started to get the chills and the faster contractions he called a lovely lady named Brita in. Soothing british accent and calming demeanor..I liked her :)
So, I'm getting in the tub. Nice and warm, candles set out, D by my side.....contractions getting harder and faster and harder. My experience before with the tub was it had slowed down labor....not this time. After about 5-10 minutes, give or take, I was in the midst of a contraction and D was rubbing my shoulders...I lost it. What did I lose exactly? 750 ml of stomach stuff (I threw up). Yuck.
After that the contractions were getting harder and harder and I recall David asking if I felt the urge to push. I replied "almost...maybe within 2 or 3 contractions?" And...I was right. As soon as I was getting the urge to push David had me get out of the tub (thought between my size and baby's potential size it might not be a good idea to stay which was fine by me. I was ready to get out). Made it to the bed and decided to go on all 4's. Started with my hands and ended on my elbows....pushing with each contraction as hard as I could wondering how long this bit would last.
J had her camera and had been taking photos so David asked if she wanted to get shots of the birth itself. I remember her saying yes and starting to walk over behind me and then David said "Not yet". I thought to myself, how long will this take?
next contraction, literally I hear something about the head and "quick get over here" in reference to the camera. Huh? Ok, maybe this won't take so long. All the sudden I was pushing with all my might, praying I wouldn't tear....2 maybe 3 times...then I hear a "here he comes". What? Huh? So quick? I had maybe pushed 6 times? 7 times at this point? Gone was my joking demeanor, it was all business...I wanted this baby out and next thing I know he was. Ring of fire and 1 fell swoop and out came Nate. He apparently had his shoulders scrunched up and was ready himself to slide right on out, literally.
After 4 minutes and 26 seconds of hard labor Nate came into the world @ 4:36pm on June 7th:
9 lbs 15 ounces
22 7/8 inches
blue as could be with claws for nails :)
22 7/8 inches
blue as could be with claws for nails :)
I immediately rolled over and wanted to hold him. He was so blue and beautiful. Perfect round head and smooshed nose. Not crying yet, they had to give him some fresh oxygen by his nose and meanwhile checked vitals. Had a fever, I found out later, but otherwise seemed well. After a few minutes he began to grunt and make cute little noises that he would keep up for the next little while, almost as if he wanted to tell his side of the tale.
Outside the room we had All of our family there, waiting outside the door ready to congratulate, see the baby, etc. We had prepared food ahead of time that my mom brought that day to make up for all to share...we had planned on a party and we had one! David told me a couple times after the fact what a neat feeling it was to hear the excited voices outside the door waiting to welcome this babe and the yummy food he was able to share with us :)
Oh, apparently James had been pacing out in the hall, wiping his brow just like an expectant daddy would. When he heard all was well he stuck his hand in the air and said ' yes!'. Too cute.
All was well and wonderful, Nate even managed to latch on for nursing for a few minutes at a time. I was fed, I had gotten a shower...had not pee'd yet though....it was getting on 7:30....
then we got the bad news. Due to a mixture of reasons Nate needed to be admitted to the NICU at the hospital around the corner. This order came from our Pediatrician and was confirmed by David and Brita.
My world crashed. "What? huh? How? what happened? I don't understand....."
Due to the GBS, water breaking before labor, antibiotics not in my system long enough before birth, Nate's fever, my fever......it was all for precautionary but babies have died from GBS and we didn't want to take any chances. Next thing I knew my little guy was being put on an ambulance, daddy following in a friends car, and I was left to finish my checking out and make sure I was ok.
I was strong until I was finally left alone and could hear the ambulance and I gave into the tears. I couldn't believe this was happening! Everything had gone so well I thought and Nate seemed fine but....take no chances.
I got myself together, pee'd my bladder out, and was talked through some paperwork. I found out during this that I would be fine. Whatever had caused the chills earlier went away with the birth of my child. Brita had given me some homeopathic remedy for the bleeding/cramping to help ease it and make it faster. I had no tears so no stitches....I just wanted to be out of there and with my baby.
I gave James hugs and told him I would see him soon and was given a ride over to the hospital....
check back for more on this story....
Outside the room we had All of our family there, waiting outside the door ready to congratulate, see the baby, etc. We had prepared food ahead of time that my mom brought that day to make up for all to share...we had planned on a party and we had one! David told me a couple times after the fact what a neat feeling it was to hear the excited voices outside the door waiting to welcome this babe and the yummy food he was able to share with us :)
Oh, apparently James had been pacing out in the hall, wiping his brow just like an expectant daddy would. When he heard all was well he stuck his hand in the air and said ' yes!'. Too cute.
All was well and wonderful, Nate even managed to latch on for nursing for a few minutes at a time. I was fed, I had gotten a shower...had not pee'd yet though....it was getting on 7:30....
then we got the bad news. Due to a mixture of reasons Nate needed to be admitted to the NICU at the hospital around the corner. This order came from our Pediatrician and was confirmed by David and Brita.
My world crashed. "What? huh? How? what happened? I don't understand....."
Due to the GBS, water breaking before labor, antibiotics not in my system long enough before birth, Nate's fever, my fever......it was all for precautionary but babies have died from GBS and we didn't want to take any chances. Next thing I knew my little guy was being put on an ambulance, daddy following in a friends car, and I was left to finish my checking out and make sure I was ok.
I was strong until I was finally left alone and could hear the ambulance and I gave into the tears. I couldn't believe this was happening! Everything had gone so well I thought and Nate seemed fine but....take no chances.
I got myself together, pee'd my bladder out, and was talked through some paperwork. I found out during this that I would be fine. Whatever had caused the chills earlier went away with the birth of my child. Brita had given me some homeopathic remedy for the bleeding/cramping to help ease it and make it faster. I had no tears so no stitches....I just wanted to be out of there and with my baby.
I gave James hugs and told him I would see him soon and was given a ride over to the hospital....
check back for more on this story....
No comments:
Post a Comment