Thursday, July 24, 2008

Are you fly?

for a white gal? Ha. just kidding. I am taking a cue from Ashby Adventure (http://ashbyadventures.blogspot.com/2008/07/shine-that-sink.html) to get my butt in gear so to speak. It's funny actually. I will clean our kitchen and there have been times where I've scrubbed the sink but I didn't fully realize something until I started reading this webpage...

About, oh I dunno, 6-7 years or so ago, I was managing a restaraunt up north of here and I recalled that I was not allowed to let any of the kitchen staff leave for the night unless their stations were spotless and all sinks cleaned and wiped dry. This was mandatory from the chef/owner. how could I forget that?

Over the years while I was in the food business I can remember scrubbing down sinks and counters before leaving for the day and if it wasn't done properly getting an earful the next day. Funny, I would do it for work, but not at home. I've never been so bad about dishes as I have been since getting married and starting a family...ironically.

When I was kid my family would all clear the table, and clean the dishes together, right after dinner. I went to college and kept up the tradition to some degree...but got more and more laxed over time. I think it was the year I lived with two guys that I got the laziest and just haven't been able to break out of it completely. They taught me to un-wind and to relax during a time in my life when I really needed it....oh well.

But in anycase, I've lost my path and would like to begin finding it again. I really don't have an excuse for not cleaning. D does most of the cooking and per our agreement before marriage, I take care of the cleaning up. Then again, our current kitchen is so small that after one meal, even if it's a simple one, the kitchen is a disaster. I'm hoping the new house will not be so bad...plus, it will be mine! I will own it and really want to take care of it...hopefully.

For now, there our baby steps. You can't change all at once....(http://flylady.net/)


2 comments:

Lady A said...

love it! a shiny sink gives me such a smile! Dan is a happier man when he comes home to a cozy comfy semi-organized mess. 8/10, I'm holding you to it! We deserve a nice place to live! And so I learn, CLUTTER ATTRACTS CLUTTER. Start fresh, do it right, in your new house! I believe in you & a shining sink!

Kat said...

Yup, hold me to it. 8/10 :)

It's been nice waking up to a clean kitchen each day...I've even been motivated to wash and fold clothes...go figure.