Monday, February 9, 2009

A simple trip to the grocery...

I think I must be really hormonal and emotional right now because all kinds of things are bugging me....but, this particular scenario really threw me off:

I was at the local grocery store, buying way too much because I was by myself(D is good at keeping me in check, and vice versa). I had a smallish cart at least which kept me from getting too to much :)

So I'm checked out and start to head out. I notice a Mentally Handicapped gent who is pushing buggys back up to the store, an employee. He turns around to head back out in the parking lot but then stops. I kinda feel him looking at me, my thought was maybe he wanted to offer help. Well, I didn't need any and so sorta scooted across the parking lot to my car real quick. I know, odd.

Well, I happened to look back and I swear he was following me....ok, City Instinct kicks in and I start winding a weird path to my car hoping I am wrong and that he is just heading out to get more carts. While I'm thinking this I'm looking around and notice there are no buggies to be gathered....hmmm, so he's good at what he does then what is he doing back out in the lot?

I get to my car, open my trunk, turn around to start taking groceries out and there he is...4 feet from me. Ack!

First thing that pops in my head "Can I help you?"
He points at my buggy and says "Cart."
I in turn say " Ok, so you were following me. You really scared me sir. Please give me a minute to un-load it and you can have it."
He says again "Cart"

Oie, I spend the next minute or so quickly unpacking my cart, attempting to not tear any bags in the process and put them safely in my car (ie, no cans on bread you know?). As I grab the last 3 bags at the same time and am putting those in the car he takes the buggy and starts walking briskly away....

I watch for about 10 seconds then I quickly get in my car and lock the doors. It was such an odd feeling. I did not like it at all!! I get home and tell D what occurred...his comment was
"It's tough. They need to work and earn a living too but there social skills can be lacking at times."

This put it in better perspective for me but I was still just....put off.

2 comments:

Lady A said...

what is up with your pregnancy hormones?! I can't say I'm completely normal myself, but the cart thing made me laugh... AHHHH. :)

Kat said...

this came from my Aunt on this, Hope you don't mind P!

"It could have been worse - he might have wanted to rub your belly.

It pays to be cautious, but I'm with D - he was just doing his job and I doubt he meant to scare you.

Love ya"

I appreciate the comments and yes, i was being irrational but I have been so on edge recently and just...ansy. I'm driving D up a wall honestly!