Wednesday, August 13, 2008

To Mow the grass....

I'll write about the move and the trip soon enough but I had to mention this. With buying this house we also purchased 1.5 acres of land. D is used to this from his parents house, though 2/3 or their land is wooded (so not much mowing involved). I however grew up in suburbia with less then an acre of grass that my dad kept mowed (for the most part). So, land and mowing are not my strong points, but I'm eager to get out there and try my hand on it. We are already looking into flowers to plant for next year, herb gardens, and hopefully a vegetable garden someday...I'm also hoping for fruit tress which I am told do real well in the soil here.

But till then...we have a lot of grass to mow. We did get a John Deere Tractor from the previous owner. We set out last night to mow...had about an hour of daylight left, figured we'd get half done maybe. Well, took us more then a few tries just to get the thing started, not to mention how to work the blades. Oie. D finally figured it out and we were able to mow part of the front lawn...but it was real easy once we figure it out. I got to ride and mow about half of it. Man does that clutch get ya and I drive manual on a fairly regular basis!

Anyways, while we were figuring things out we let James sit in the seat. (no it was not turned on). He was playing with the wheel and at one point turned towards us, had one hand on the wheel, one arm on the seat cushion and this puzzled look on his face like "Come on guys, figure this out so I can mow the lawn!". lol. he then looked to his right and discovered the gears...which he immediately started playing with, keeping one hand on the wheel the entire time. Too cute!

My only issue...my head was ringing when I hopped off. Either from the vibrating motion, the loud noise, or some combination there of. My head is still ringing today! sigh. I'll get used to it and it will be a lot of fun...and a lot of hard work too.

Plus points, got to meet two more of our neighbors while mowing :)

3 comments:

Lady A said...

ear plugs my dear, ear plugs. protect that hearing!

Kat said...

I didn't even consider that! Yes, will need to invest in a good set of something...maybe a Bose headset so i can listen to music at the same time....

Lady A said...

bose headsets can damage you 1000 bucks ... just the ones at walmart will do!