Monday, August 25, 2008

The rest of the week...

So we were home owners :) We had planned to go up to the house, turn off the power, and set off bug bombs after settlement so after dinner we trekked up with some family in tow, opened the doors with our very own keys and got to it.

Next day Comcast was going to be coming and we had wanted to get some cleaning doen before moving anything in so we headed to the our townhouse to gather up some supplies and went to the new house to begin. It was fun and we got some work done. Did not get any furniture moved so we headed back to my MIL's to sleep there once again.

Wednesday Morning, bright and early before 7 we headed over to the townhouse (without baby) to finish up some packing and await the movers. Scheduled time between 8-10 with a most likely 9 o clock arrival. Well, 10 came, no phone call, no movers...we called them. Got an excuse about a broken truck they were trying to fix and apologies for no one calling. They would be discounting 6% (woop d doo) and would have the truck there by 1 at the latest. "This is where we should have left, but we didn't." We took turns packing up this odd end and that and organizing to get the place cleaned to be officially moved out by friday. I started working on scrubbing down the bathrooms...stuff like that. 1 o clock comes and goes. Still no word. We call them, again.

APologies apologies (uh huh) and a "We'll send the next shift out to you with a new truck. They'll be there by 3pm." So we wait...meanwhile getting more and more upset. 3 o clock comes and goes. We say between us that we will re-schedule for the morning, if they can, or else ask for our deposit back. So D calls.....and they sputter "No no the driver is on the way. he will be there by 4. We will get you moved today." Well, by now I am irate and do not want to wait. They claim they will recompense us for any rush hour traffic we might hit (paying by the hour) and will still give us the 6% off....hmmm....D gives and we wait one more hour.

Now, I don't know about you but in good customer service you say you're going to be somewhere you dang well better be there...or at least be the one calling giving updates so your customer isn't sitting wondering what the heck?

Ok, so we wait till 4, on the dot, then we leave. As we are driving to MIL's we pass a truck with 3 guys in it but I was already on the phone with the owner asking for my money back and giving him an ear full for wasting our day! I didn't care that his truck was almost there. We had been waiting since 8 in the morning and it was now past 4! No sir. Unified Moving Services...Bleh! Don't use them! As it is they said they would return our deposit and an extra 50 to say "sorry". We got the first part...still waiting on the second. I would love to sue for lost wages for D and I...over 400 for the one day. I'll give them till the end of the month...

So that night my FIL shoeed us out of the house after we mopped for 2 hours and said, come on, let's grab some boxes and go work on the roof. We did and it did help to get something done. Next day D ordered us a Uhual for the day. Took two trips, one paid college kid (for 3 hours- had to leave early), my 16 year old brother in law and my dad to move us. D had a bummed ankle, it had been bothering him for a few days and finally gave out on thursday. So, I was there with the best of them picking up and moving whatever I could. Last time we moved I had just given birth to James and couldn't help at all...real switch. Usually I'm a beast at lifting and carrying...it was nice to feel strong again but boy was I sore when the day was done.

Friday we spent cleaning up the old place just a bit more (moving real slow by now) and one last load to the new place. Got all checked out with the old apartment, paid our dues, unpacked and put together our bed and James' bed so when we got back we could just go right to sleep....and then headed down to my MIL's for some sleep (8 o clock by now) before heading out in the morning for OBX. Sigh, it was a very busy week...all 7 days of it and I was beat emotionally, physically, and mentally by the end of it. D was too. James seemed to come out alright, but he was off too. What a trooper!

No comments: