Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Nightmares?

I remember my dad telling me when I was younger how he hated to fill his head with stuff you see on tv and in the news, especially to note anything scary or bad. I remember thinking, "Well, I'd rather know about it then not." hhmmm, after last night I'm beginning to question this...

My parents were fairly adament about being of the legal age to handle certain things, like movies. I did not see a PG13 movie until I was 13. I did not watch an R rated movie until I was 17. In fact, for my 17th birthday my brother took me to see the one with slaves on the ship that was rated R(I don't remember the title)....so, as you see, I wasn't brought up being able to watch violent stuff. Now adays, it is so easy to find it's disgusting, tv, video games..... I don't want to become immune to it's affects but I also do want to be able to handle it on occasion....sigh.

So, we rented 28 Weeks Later. I had seen 28 Days Later a few years back and remember handling it alright. Not your typical Zombie movie but also not easy on the heart. It was fast paced at points and scary. Now, once I start watching a movie like this I need to know how it ends...some sort of conclusion, and more often then not it ends alright. Not this time...it was definitily left WIDE-Opened! (sigh-again). I handled myself alright through it and was even ok after it but I did not sleep well. i wonder if the open ending had something to do with it. Yes, I know it is not real! Sheesh, but it still has an effect on my psyche...

I didn't have nightmares, in fact I haven't had a real true nightmare in quite some time...at least a few months, but I do have the strange dreams...and thats exactly what was going on last night. We watched part of a happy thing right after to lighten my mood some and then I also read before going to sleep but I kept waking up ... I was exhausted but I didn't want to fall back asleep. My feelings as this was happening was that my sub-conscious was trying to avoid the dreams so I kept waking up to stop it. kept my hubby up too...poor guy

When I finally did fall asleep for a length of time I know I slept uneasily which is leading to my thinking I need to be more careful. I'm not usually so affected by movies, well, at least not of late. I think the fear of being fearful was more my issue, odd as that sounds. I've already made D promise me we will rent a happy-go-lucky, slapstick humore kind of movie next time. The last two we've rented have been Zombie-esk. We watched 'I am Legend" and that night I spent with my sister watching and rewatching Shrek through the night afterwards, also not sleeping so well. Last night was worse K!

So, be careful what you watch...it can affect you and I think I might take it easy on myself for a little while. I still feel jumpy today. Actually, the last time I was this jumpy was when I saw 'War of the Worlds" with Tom Cruise. I saw it in theatres with a friend and the two us were jumpy for hours afterwards if not days too....

No comments: