I've learned how to use an ax....and I successfully know hot to wield a chainsaw and bush trimmer. Next? A Machete (yes, one is on order and I look forward to learning).
Now, what exactly have I been up to? Why, tearing, chopping, digging, pulling, etc (right, you figured that part out already) in the flower beds around the house, misc bushes that don't need to be there, around the shed, by ALL the trees, along the fence, other random spots.
Why? do you ask? Well...when we were inspecting the home prior to buying the inspector recommended re-grading all around the outside of the house to help with water issues and just in general that he felt that bushes/plants right up against the house didn't make sense. Dan and I have since talked about concreting over to make a wrap-around type thing for the kids....I've mentioned enclosed patio :) Etc.
So, we have indeed had water issues and have since installed a french drain system in the basement to alleviate pressure. This was done over a year ago and well...I wanted to see what kinds of plants would sprout up around the house since the previous owner had such a green thumb....but the weeds started to over-take and leaves that never got raked up in the fall began to accumulate and well...
It was after the quarterly exterminator inspection that I became dead set to really get outside and start doing more yard type stuff. We found out we have carpenter ants making a home right outside of my wee boys room. They are not living 'in' our house, but they are finding ways in. There is a stump of a blue spruce right outside their room that we cut down when we first moved in and have since neglected. I am now armed with stump away and good ax to tend to this mess.
I think I am finally getting some energy back, thank god, and realizing that this house is mine and I have to make it what I want it to be! So far I have been rather destructive but I hope to be more giving as time goes by.
So, we have the box right outside the boys room cleaned out and sprayed down with 'kill all' making that area dead for the next 6-12 months at which time we will have a plan ready and know what to do with the space. Maybe I will develop more gardening love and get better at keeping the weeds at bay....maybe not.
I did not grow up working the land but I do know I come from a line of them and I feel like perhaps I could be better at it....I get a lot out of it when I do. I need someone to teach me the basics of planting seeds though...I have no clue, and would love to try planting trees but know that in the past the trees I have planted from Earth Day type stuff never made it....
I've killed cactus plants before....so, I'm in the market for easy-care type plants for our yards and where best to plant them. I'd like to give back to the land I am ravaging...any suggestions?
No comments:
Post a Comment