So I just found out my BMR (basal metabolic rate) is 2180 a day meaning I need to consume 2180 calories to maintain my healthy, very healthy look, lol.
Ok, so I am also a nursing mommy...tack on approx. 500 calories per day for that, meaning I need to be consuming 2680 calories per day. Hmmm...doesn't sound so bad until you start taking a look at amounts of food versus types of food versus hunger levels.
Ok, so I've also been exercising (cardio primarily with some weight lifting) probably averaging about 500 calories burned per session, approx every other day. On these days I've allowed my calorie intake to go up some...maybe by 200 calories? I don't want to lose to fast for 2 reasons:
a) toxins released into breastmilk (nursing mommy)
b) it's just not that healthy. I've already lost ALL my pregnancy weight from Nathan and am now working on the leftovers from James and just in general.
So, I've found in counting my calories for the last 2 weeks (just started but it really is amazing how much you watch when you're really thinking about it) that I average 2350. Not bad, right in the zone that I want to be in...but I haven't shed any pounds. I am however slimming and toning...some.
So, give it 2 more weeks and then re-access caloric intake? or should I adjust sooner. The work-outs are what they are. I started back at Aqua Aerobics last night and hope to go every Thursday Night. I then have my bootcamp DVD @ home that I do every other day. Plus there's yard work, playing with James, other misc house stuff....if I could add in going for a 1/2 walk everyday that would be a big benefit...just don't have the place to do so yet. In time...
So my goal....to be 210 pounds or less by the New Year. Current? 225....I think I can do it.
8 comments:
I was thinking the same about the nursing and I try real hard not to eat what I may have just lost by working out. lol, it's kinda fun to calorie count actually...and I don't drink many calories (except for coffee) since I mainly drink water but its an area that used to be a trouble spot for me :)
Kathers,
You're probably gaining muscle right now. When you're "losing weight," there are two stages, actually losing lbs, and then losing fat to muscle. It's not a straight curve, and it shouldn't be if you're trying to be healthier. The straight losing is mainly hitting your body fat percentage from one side, but if you can get more muscle- it's closing in on it from both sides. Gaining the muscle is a very good thing, it helps boost your metabolism (more muscle means your body will burn more calories in doing the same tasks, the upkeep of that muscle helps too) and the exercise helps your cholesterol- lowering the bad, which is why I'm making a harder attempt to get back going to the gym every week.
It's kinda like the curve you get when you heat a substance from solid to gas- there are plateaus for the phase change (turning fat into muscle). It may seem like nothing is happening, but good things are happening- you just can't "see" it. Consistently losing weight isn't as good for you as seeing these plateaus. If it stays on that plateau for too long (more than a month about) then you should reassess the caloric intake, which it sounds like you are doing.
I'm really proud of you and if you ever need support, you can call me or Steve.
Love you!
Kris
Thanks Kris! It is challenging and I am trying real hard not to be discouraged. The fact that our scale is goofy doesn't help. We get a range depending on how you stand on it, lol, so I've gotten to the point that I look for the range to lower not an actual poundage.
As of this past week my range has dipped as low as 217 and gone as high as 225...which is heading in the right direction for me.
Going below 220 was a short-term goal for me...now it's 215 :)
You are doing great. I try to sneak in the workouts, but mostly walk and ease into yoga again (not the power yoga yet). But your agenda is mighty impressive and I think you will reach your goal quickly with such a schedule. You are inspiring me to amp up the workout schedule!
Good luck with your weight loss goals. I think you're doing great so far, and I hope you make your goal for the New Year.
it's been getting easier every workout Shelley :) The hardest part is figuring out what to do with the kiddos (James will dance with me some and sometimes Nathan will stay calm enough watching).
Thanks Katie, I hope I can (fingers crossed)!
Post a Comment