So the beginning of March see's me down to 200lbs (woot!) and another inch off the waistline. ironically my thighs and calves have gotten a bit bigger (building up muscle doing more walking perhaps? Who knows. I'm excited to see my weight go down and feel comfortable that my decisions really are making a difference.....what am I talking about?
Ok, so last November I went in for a physical. Less then a week later I get the results from my doc with a prescription for Sythroid....because I had been diagnosed with Hypo-thyroid. Huh? I called my doctor to verify, got a nurse who confirmed the results and recommended getting the prescription filled and to begin taking the next day. Doctor would want me back in 6-10 weeks for bloodwork to see how the numbers looked. I was in shock. I would have thought conditions like this would at least deserve a phone call from the doctor to me specifically and maybe even a face to face consult to make sure I understood all going on....
Nope and nope. Just the prescription in the mail with the blood work results from my physical. So, I start taking the medicine(next morning) and immediately call my mom. This stuff runs in the family apparently so she would have some good advice right? She did, I calmed down and wanted to wait till the next check-up before mentioning this to anyone else....
Sigh, so 4-5 weeks go by and I start to get really tired, some dizzy spells, and nauseas. The thyroid medicine takes at minimum 3-4 weeks to start see-ing affects. I started having this symptoms, took the pregnancy test to rule that out, and then called my doctor. Told me to stop taking the medicine and come in for bloodwork in 2 weeks....what? Oh, talked to a nurse not my Doc-doc but she was speaking for the doctor. So, like a good kid, I stop taking the medicine and call my mom. Shes' surprised but takes it with a grain of salt and says to keep her posted on the next appointment.
Well, about 10 days into being off the meds I start having some serious mood swings, depression, anxiety..... it was awful. On day 14 I go into to see my doc and he seems suprised to see me. eh? I tell him what I was told, why I am there, how I've been and inquire about blood work. He tells me to start re-taking the medicine, he'll draw blood(though he would rather have waited a few weeks out of me being on the medicine) and get back to me with results. This was on a Monday. Oh, did I mention that he thought the nausea and dizziness was probably being caused by other medicines I am on right now....I think he is a busy doctor....
Alright, so Saturday gets here and I have the results of the blood work in my mailbox at home. I open it to find my doctor says my levels are "in normal range" and tells me to stop taking the medicine. WTF? (pardon my language) I double check with everyone I know about this and get strong urging from my mom to see her Endocronologist...asap.
Alright, so am I hypothyroid or not. I was so confused at this point and not very happy about being swung around. Hypo-thyroid is a serious life long disease that you don't mess around with. Click the linky to find out more but basically hypo-thyroid is an underactive thyroid gland which in turn affects, oh, just about everything from metabolism, to mood stabilizers, to my organs functionality. Now, I am newly diagnosed and most affects are more long term should you not be discovered as having this issue. (Note to all, have it tested! It is more common then we think)
So, I schedule to see the Endo-doc....4 weeks out. 10 days off meds, serious mood swings and just feeling un-together. It get's better but man...it knocks you back. I used to be really moody when i was younger and always chalked it up to adolescence. huh
So I finally go in to see the Endo....no blood drawn. She takes a look at both the previous draws and proceeds to exam the thyroid gland physically and can tell right away that is defenitily off. Just by touch. Something about the texture of it but you would have to ask my husband for the exact wording....
So I start back on medicine and set up an appointment to see the Endo-doc 5 weeks out. That appointment is still over a week away but I'm feeling mostly alright. Been having tirednees issue, a bit un-together, and some depression symptoms in the last 2 weeks. Not sure if this is related to the medicine (since I had the issues after being on the meds for 2-3 weeks last time around) or is life is just getting me down.
All the snow, stuff at home, job.....
so anywho, I do indeed have a lifetime disease that will need to be forever medicated for me to function right. I always swore I wouldn't let something like this happen to me. I have been against vitamins and birth control .... essentially any meds you HAVE to take daily due to watching my mom and family members be pinned down with multiple meds.
So here I am....still trying to figure out what this all means but to get back to the original thought...weight loss. Being diagnosed hypo-thyroid is a dieters dream because you can place blame for all your weight loss issues on having an under active thyroid thus slowing down your metabolism and causing weight gain (short story). So....it's been niggling me in the back of my brain, every time I've stepped on a scale for the last 3 months whether the weight loss was my doing or the medicine.
For the last month I have not counted calories and for the first 2 weeks I actually put on a few pounds...but once I started kind of watching again (still not counting) I've started to lose again. Sooo, I've hypothesized that I am in control of my weight....sort of, which is a nice feeling. I am 8 pounds away from being pre-pregnancy for James! Very exciting. I think when I reach that goal I shall have to reward myself somehow...
No comments:
Post a Comment