Thursday, July 2, 2009

A week in the NICU

So, after havng an amazing birth at the Center and then having the news put on us I was torn. I wanted to be by my littelist ones side but also worried for my 2 year old...what would he think of all this? My husband worked out the details of getting himself to the hospital(right behind the ambulance) , set up transport for me a soon as I was discharged and worked out where James was going for that night.

So I am set free, give James the biggest hug in the world and tell him its going to be alright. "I need you to go with Grams and Gramps and be a good boy alright? Mommy and daddy will be there in a little while." Had a brief cry from him but I think he understood.

I'm transported to the hospital with strict directions to take a wheelchair up..Ha. yea right. Ok, so any of you out there who have given birth naturally, no drugs, you know that adrenaline kick you're on for...oh at least 5 or 6 hours after birth? Mine lasted till after midnight so around 8:30 when James' godfather is trying to get me into a wheelchair at the hospital I tell him "no way" and start walking towards where the NICU is. He follows me with the wheelchair until we come to an elevator and there just wasn't room for it so he gives up on it. Yes, I know I should have sat but I couldn't! I wanted to see Nathan and just well...be there

I get there and D is helping the nurse soothe Nathan so she can get the IV set up and there are taking vitals and his little naked body is under a heatlamp, which suprised me because he had felt so warm. Found out later that the NICU wasn't sure of situation at first so was extra careful and had everything ready just in case. Next morning he was in a crib, no heatlamp, and dressed :)

So we get to meet a really sweet nurse and get some details. GBS takes 48hours to test for, meanwhile, to be on the safe side they start 2 antibiotics (I'll try to remember the names of these) that are generally safe, cure-all, just in case. I am allowed to nurse more as soon as they had the tests done.

All in all I'm just numb going through the motions of being there and trying to understand everything. We left that night around 1 am cause D wanted to get me to a bed (I was not admitted). That was one fo the toughest things to do, got easier thru the week, but leaving my son in the hospital having no real idea of just what the hell was goin on...

3 comments:

Lady A said...

I can't believe that all that happened.... must have taken a while to digest! I can't imagine having a babe in the NICU for the first week. You are such a strong woman.

Katie said...

That had to have been such a gut-wrenching experience for you and the whole family. It looks like your little cutie is doing well now - happy and healthy - and that's all that matters in the end, right?

Kat said...

It was a crazy week and I am still working on writing it all down. Lots of ups and downs though...I think it was Wednesday morning around 2am that I was up pumping and looking through some clothes for Nate someone had just given us and there was a combo "big brother, little brother" shirts for James and Nathan...I cried for over an hour and even ended up waking D . I had finally let my guard down...cathartic.